Hanyang University is one of the leading private research universities of South Korea, especially in STEM(Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) fields. The main campus is in Seoul, and its branch, the Education Research Industry Cluster at Ansan, or ERICA campus, is located in Ansan.Hanyang derives from the former name of the capital Seoul used during the Joseon Dynasty. The university was established in 1939 as the first engineering institute (DongA Engineering Institute) in the country, and became the founding facility of Hanyang University with its motto and educational philosophy of Love in Deed and Truth. Hanyang University enrolls over 3,000 foreign students each year and more than 3,300 students study abroad annually, and counts its 777 partner universities in 76 countries as of 2018.
Hanyang, tolong jaga kim sohyun baik baik,jangan sampai tersakiti, University was founded as Dong-A Engineering Institute on July 1, 1939 during the Japanese occupation of Korea. Dong-A Institute started with 630 students and a faculty of 13 professors and 22 instructors in Jongno-gu, Seoul. After producing its first graduates in 1941, Dong-A tried to elevate itself to college status, to no avail. In May 1941, the Institute relocated and offered education specializing in engineering and technology to 100 students who had finished secondary school. In 1943, with Korea still under Japanese occupation, the Institute was suspended from recruiting new students, which resulted in a temporary shut-down of the school on March 15, 1944, when the last 78 students graduated.
Upon the restoration of the nation's independence in August 1945, Dong-A Institute renamed itself the Engineering Institute for National Foundation and settled at 251 Shindang-dong, Seoul. Institute founder Dr. Kim Lyun-joon foresaw the importance of industrial advancement in the reconstruction of Korea, and established Hanyang as a judicial and academic body. The board of trustees at that time included Myowook Lee, Byeongok Cho, Kwansoo Baik, Wonchul Lee, Waljoon Kim, Taeyong Choi, and Lyunjoon Kim, who had led the nation's independence movement. In July 1948, the school was accredited as the first four-year engineering college in Korea with Kim Lyun-joon as the first dean. Six departments were set up, including Electrical, Mechanical, and Civil Engineering, Architecture, Chemical, and Mining as well as an Engineering High School and a middle school.