National Chiao Tung University is a public research university located in Hsinchu, Taiwan. Established in 1896 as Nanyang Public School by an imperial edict of the Guangxu Emperor, it is one of Taiwan's leading universities. After the Chinese Civil War, NCTU was re-established by former Chiao Tung University faculty and alumni in 1958.
NCTU was selected by Taiwan's Ministry of Educations as one of the seven national universities focused on research in 2002. It was subsequently chosen to pursue all-around excellence with "versatile international competitiveness to continuously strengthen international academic influence and visibility"
National Chiao Tung University was founded in the suburbs of Shanghai in 1896, sixteen years before the birth of the Republic of China, at the suggestion of Sheng Xuanhuai, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Qing dynasty. The University was first named Nanyang College. It was established to meet the need to introduce western civilization into China. The college focused only on politics, law, and translations of western books. In the later years of the Qing Dynasty, the college was renamed the Vocational College of Higher Education and was governed by the Ministry of Post and Transportation. By including new vocational programs, such as business, electrical engineering, shipping management, and railway management, the college played a major role in science and engineering education in modern China.
The Ministry of Post and Transportation in the Qing Dynasty expanded the college by developing three other campuses - the Railway College in Tang-Shan (established in 1905), the Railway Management College in Peiping (1910), and the Merchant Marine College in Wu-Sun (1911).