Back to Top

China Student Visa


Study visa is must for getting entry to china for study purpose. Visa is issued to only those who want to study in in china for a fix period of time. The time duration for the visa grantee to you depend on your desired degree and its time duration.

The student visa for china is divided into two major types, X1 and X2.X1 is issued to aliens who come to China for study, advanced studies, or fieldwork for more than 6 months. X2 is issued to aliens who come to China with same purpose but for a period of less than 6 months.

Applicant must have the complete information about the institute he is going to study in and applying on the behalf of. It is important that the organization must be accredited for offering courses or internships to foreigners.  They will send you a JW201 or JW202 form and an admission letter.  You have to submit these with photocopies with your application.

Applicants are not allowed to work on X type of Visa. If any student found to be working to support their education or else will be deemed unlawful employment and will probably have to stop or be expelled. 

X1 holders shall apply for a Temporary Residence Permit from the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) within 30 days upon entry into China. The temporary residence permit can be issued with validity of 180 days to 5 years.  X2 holders shall stay in China within the duration period as indicated on the visa, and it is not necessary for them to apply for the temporary residence permit.

Required Documents

There is a list of documents required for every visa type and are must to have while applying for any visa type. It is more important that the document are genuine and authentic if any fake document found the applicant would face a serious response and would  have to face strict results including disability to apply again for the visa forever.

List of Documents:

  1. Original passport with a validity of more than 6 months and minimum 2 blank visa pages, and photocopies of the first 2 pages (personal information) of your passport and recent Chinese visas if any;
  2. One fully completed Visa Application Form (Form V2011A) in Chinese or English, attached with one of the applicant’s recent color photograph (30mm X 40mm).

NOTE: If you are applying to work or study in China, or if someone else travelling with you shares the same passport, or if you are applying for a visa in a country or territory other than the country of your current nationality, you also should fill out the supplementary visa application form.  

  1. If it is your first time to visit China, you should provide your local police character/clearance certificate.
  2. Student Visa Application for Study in China (Form JW 202 or JW201, original and photocopy);
  3. Admission Letter from your perspective university;
  4. Physical Examination Record for Foreigner (to be attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Islamabad. Blank form  can be downloaded from this website);
  5. Mark sheet/diploma (original and photocopy).

How to appply

Applying for study visa you must have to pass through a number of steps while applying for a study visa in china. 

Once you have complied all the documents required for the visa processing the next step is to send them to the university with an application form mentioning the course you want to apply in. The college will send you an approval notification telling you for if you have been selected to study for the particular course or not. Now is the step for apply for visa on the behalf of the admission letter issued to by the college you had applied in.

Applying for visa in chines consulate in your home country you have to follow the following steps:

  • You may submit the application to the Visa Office of the Embassy or Consulate -General which grips consular jurisdiction in over the state where you reside;
  • If you cannot come in person, you may entrust someone else or a travel/visa agent to drop off your application at the visa office of the Embassy or Consulate -General which holds consular jurisdiction in over the state where you reside;
  • No appointment is required.
  • Mailed applications are not acceptable and will be returned.

Visa Details

Processing Time:

The visa application after submission takes a specific time for the processing and approval or disapproval of the application fee.

1. The normal processing time for the visa application is 4 working days (e.g. submission on Monday, pick up on Thursday).
2. If you are applying for urgent visa and you want it to be done in 2 or 3 days than you had to pay some additional charges of 20$ will be charged against it. This category is known as: Express service
3. Same day rush service  charges an additional fee of $30 for 1 working day processing applying under this category the applications presented before 12:00pm may be picked up in the afternoon on the same day.


The admission and tuition fee vary according to the course and degree you are applying for also every college has its own fee structure. Applying on a scholarship will also change your fee requirement. One must have to pay the admission fee on the time of admission only after that he will be issued the approval letter on the behalf of which the students have to apply for the study visa. While applying for visa application in chines consulate you also had to pay a minimum amount of tuition fee to you college in china.

Keeping tuition fee on a side there is affix amount of visa fee to be paid to the chines consulate for processing the visa application the fee vary according to the visa type and processing time as mentioned before. The embassy only accepts cash in Pakistani Rupees. Other foreign currency, cheques or money order is unaccepted.  If you apply for this visa you have to pays different charges applying from America you had to pay $50 and $30 for citizens of other countries.
Pakistanis are exempted from any Chinese visa fees.

  • Text
  • Image
  • Video


Free study abroad expert advice


Sign in

to continue to


Forgot Password

to continue to


Register Type

Please Provide following information to Register

  • Student
  • College/University
  • Consultant

Ask a qusetion from a expert

Please Provide maximum information so that the best advice can be given