FREE Advice

Switzerland Study Visa Guide for Pakistani Students

swizerland student visa guide for Pakistani students

How to Apply for Swiss Student Visa

Before applying for a Swiss Student Visa you have to be accepted by a Swiss school or university, and in proof you will get an acceptance letter which will be required for the visa application form.

  1.  What type of visa you need.

If you are willing to stay for three months or less for a short course in Switzerland, so you can get a Schengen C visa, and if you are planning to stay for a long course for more than 3 months, like Bachelors, Masters or any exchange semester program so you have to get National D visa. 

  • Schengen C visa – for short courses (summer schools, language schools) that last only for up to three months.

  • National D visa –for courses that last longer than three months.

If you are applying for a type D visa and plan to stay in Switzerland for more than three months, you will have to arrange to get your residence permit from the migration offices within 14 days after your arrival by booking an appointment.

  1.  Where to apply for Swiss Student Visa.

As soon as you get an acceptance letter from the Swiss school/university, you have to schedule an appointment at the Swiss embassy or consulate in your area. You have to schedule the appointment for a visa interview as early as 6 months before your studying session starts in Switzerland but not more than 3 months before your departure.

If the application form and all required documents are not in French, German or English, you will need a certified translation of all documents in one of these languages.

Documents Required for Swiss Student Visa

  • Swiss student visa application form (filled and signed).

  • 4 passport size photos.

  • Valid passport.

  • Letter of acceptance by Swiss school/university.

  • Receipt of paid registration and tuition fees.

  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your study period in Switzerland (Around 21,000 CHF, around 3,337,000 PKR at the beginning of each academic year).

  • Letter of institution or organization if expense of studies will be covered by a scholarship or loan.

  • CV.

  • Letter of motivation.

  • Commitment to leave Switzerland after completion of studies.

Processing time for Swiss Student Visa

For the type-C visa it takes around 10-15 days to process but the processing time for type-D visa is around 2-3 months. That’s why it is preferred to apply for the Swiss student visa as soon as you receive your acceptance letter from the Swiss school or university.


To apply for the Swiss student visa, you will have to pay a fee of 67 CHF, which is around 10,600 PKR. Depending on your situation, Swiss authorities will allow you to pay this fee online, in hand at the visa application centre in Pakistan, or through a bank transfer.

How Swiss Student Visa Allow You to Work

International students can work up to 15 hours a week during their semester and full-time during holidays, but they are allowed to work only after they have lived in Switzerland for more than six months and as long as it is not affecting your progress in studies which will be proved by providing a report from your institution showing your satisfactory progress in studies. If you get hired for a job, the hiring company or employer will get you a work permit.

Also, International students can stay for six more months after completing their studies in Switzerland to search for jobs.

Language Requirements for Swiss Student Visa

There are no such language requirements for a Swiss student visa but on other hand, school or university you are applying in will require a proof of language proficiency and that proof is enough for Swiss embassy visa officer.

In some cases, the embassy will evaluate your language knowledge by conducting a short interview at the consulate or even an oral and written test.


  • Text
  • Image
  • Video


Free study abroad expert advice


Sign in

to continue to


Forgot Password

to continue to


Register Type

Please Provide following information to Register

  • Student
  • College/University
  • Consultant

Ask a qusetion from a expert

Please Provide maximum information so that the best advice can be given